During the past few years, Ibiza has become one of traveller’s most popular destinations, visiting from all over the world. For this reason, many question whether they will need to have an International Driving License to drive in Ibiza. If this is also your case, keep reading this article and find out if your driving license is valid or if you need to apply for an International Driving License.
Do you require an International driving license to drive in Ibiza?
If your driving license is from a country in the European Union or from Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you will be able to rent a car in Ibiza or anywhere else in Spain without having to apply for an International Driving License. If yours is from a different country to the above, you will have to apply for an International Driving License at your country of origin. It will have to be duly translated into English or Spanish.
What rules apply to foreign travellers who want to rent a car in Ibiza?
Foreign travellers who are classed as tourists in Spain will have to have held a full driving license for over two years and also be at least 21 years old. At Moto Luis, to rent large cars of luxury vehicles we require that drivers are at least 25 years old and that they have held a full driving license for a minimum of 5 years.
What legal rules should I know about before I drive in Spain?
There are a series of road safety rules which you must know about when driving in Ibiza and in Spain, as they are not always mandatory in other countries. This way, you won’t only avoid hazardous situations, but also unwanted traffic fines. Pay special attention to the following rules:
– It is forbidden to drive talking on a mobile phone while driving unless a hands free system is used.
– It is compulsory to use a reflective vest when you exit the vehicle and stand on the road or the roadside, and you must use emergency triangles if the vehicle is immobilized on the road or the roadside. You will always find this equipment inside Moto Luis rental cars.
– You can only overtake a car from the left side of the vehicle that you want to overtake.
– Established speed limits must be obeyed: 120 KMH on highways and motorways, 100 KMH on conventional roads, 90 KMH on other roads and 50 KMH in urban areas.
– Alcohol levels must not exceed 0.5 g/l in the bloodstream (0.25 mg/l in exhaled air).
– The use of seat belts is mandatory for the driver and the rest of the vehicle’s occupants, seated both in the front and in the back.
– Wearing a helmet is required when riding a motorbike, a scooter and a bicycle. This rule is especially important for Americans, who are not used to driving with this safety system.
Do you need insurance to rent a car in Ibiza?
All Moto Luis rentals include compulsory third party insurance with an excess. If you would like to rent a car without an excess, you can add our SFW full insurance, which covers damage to the wheels (other companies don’t include this), windows, 24 hour road assistance, locks and bodywork. Find out more information by reading our article on how to rent a car in Ibiza with no excess.
If after having read this article you still have further questions about International Driving Licenses to rent your car in Ibiza, make sure to contact us via e-mail, Facebook, Whatsapp (+34 672 077 500) or by calling our office directly (+34 971 340 521 y +34 971 340 765).