How to enjoy a sustainable holiday in Ibiza
The awareness that small everyday gestures can do much good to the environment is growing. If you want to enjoy a sustainable holiday in Ibiza, take note of our recommendations and perform those actions that are in your hand to leave the least possible mark. The island will thank you, and your future holidays in Ibiza, too.
What are a sustainable vacation?
Before knowing the actions you can take during your stay on the island, we will explain what are called sustainable vacations. According to The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), sustainable tourism is one that “fully takes into account current and future economic, social and environmental repercussions to meet the needs of visitors, industry, the environment and communities hostesses. ” That is, it is tourism that has as its central axis the beneficial interaction between the destination and the traveler. Being a more sustainable destination requires offering answers and actions that allow the enjoyment of the holidays with the least possible impact on the environment and the well-being of the inhabitants, while being a responsible traveler requires choosing those actions that minimize the impact of our stay.
10 tips to enjoy a more sustainable holiday in Ibiza
Accommodation and sustainable transport in Ibiza
- Choose family-run hotels and agritourisms in front of international chains, as this promotes the strength of the local economic fabric.
- Depending on where you stay or spend the day, explore the surroundings by walking. Any suggestions for walking ?: Santa Eulalia – Es Canar- Cala Nova- Cala Llenya; It’s Cavallet – Ses Salines; Cala Gracioneta – San Antonio – Port des Torrent; or Ibiza – Ses Figueretes – Playa d’en Bossa.
- If you like to sail, get on the solar catamarans of La Bella Verde.
- When driving a manual car, practice efficient driving at all times using the proper gear that maintains the engine between 1,300 and 2,000 revolutions if it is a diesel or between 1,500 and 2,500 if it is a gasoline engine. It also encourages efficient driving using long gears at low revolutions as long as possible.
- Rent a hybrid electric car. At Moto Luis we are working to make our fleet increasingly efficient and sustainable. Our first step towards that goal was to buy our Mini Cooper Cabrio Hybrid, which in the 2020 season will be replaced by Suzuki Swift hybrid and the new electric models Renault Zöe, Peugeot e-208 and the SUV Peugeot e-2008.
Other sustainable recommendations for your holidays in Ibiza
- Take longer vacations. In recent years, trips of 3 or 4 days have increased considerably compared to stays of one week or fifteen days. If we want our plane transfers to have a lower environmental impact on our vacations, we have to travel less times, but enjoying longer stays at the destination. In other words: you have to travel more as our parents (or grandparents) did. In addition, this way you will have more opportunities to sign up for some of the creative leisure proposals proposed by Ibiza Creativa.
- If you are staying in a villa or in your second residence, buy KM.0 products whenever possible. In Ibiza you will find, according to the time of the year, native and produced products on the island, such as watermelon, potato, oil, pomegranate, orange, avocado, tomato, lamb, chicken peas, eggs, cheeses, lemons, sobrasada, red onion, wine , carrot, melon, peach, loquat, fig, eggplant, zucchini, almond…
- When you go to the beach, don’t leave cigarette butts, plastic cups, straws, lollipop sticks, snack bags, cans and bottles of drinks there. And if the bins are full, take away your waste and dispose of it properly as soon as you have the chance.
- Forget about souvenirs made in China and buy from local artisans and designers. And include the gastronomic specialties of the island in your gifts to friends and family: cheese, sobrasada, traditional sweets, salt, Ibizan herbs …
- Collaborate with local organizations that invest their resources in the territory and in their citizens, such as Ibiza Preservation Fund and Proyecto Juntos.
And an extra recommendation: do not miss the articles of our blog that deal with the most ecological Ibiza and stay tuned for the news that we will be publishing on this topic.
Opening photo: Victor Frankowski / La Bella Verde